Oooh yeah, mud cake. Before going vegan, I loved Mud Cake! I would buy a cake every couple of weeks and have it as a dessert every single day and I never got tired of it. I was so happy the first time I made this cake and it tasted so similar to the treat I used to love! Dense and chocolaty, have it with some fresh strawberries and this is heaven. 15 ingredients are all you need. Don’t get put off by the long list, It is not difficult. Trust me
Chocolate Mud Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 cup+2 tbsp super fine white rice flour [or] brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 cups organic raw sugar
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup banana puree
- 1 cups almond milk
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup rice bran oil/coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp concentrated vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp fresh ground coffee, dissolved in 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp xanthan [or] guar gum [OPTIONAL]
- 1 tbsp carob powder [OPTIONAL]
- 18 ounces strawberries
- 1 cup full fat coconut cream
- 7 ounces vegan gluten free chocolate
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp organic raw sugar [OPTIONAL]
- Preheat oven 350 Fahrenheit
- Sift all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix them really well. Transfer to a plate
- In a the same bowl, add all the wet ingredients except oil and beat until foamy/frothy.
- Add the dry ingredients 1 cup a time while mixing with a hand-held mixer. Once you have added all the dry ingredients, the batter will resemble a thick pancake batter.
- Now, add oil and keep mixing for a minute.
- Divide batter evenly between your 2 cake pans lined with each parchment paper or coated with coconut oil.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. I baked in middle-tier of the oven.
- Let it stand for ten minutes, flip both the pans and let it cool for couple of hours.
- Whilst cake is cooling, prepare the ganache. Heat coconut cream until bubbles start to appear around the edges , turn off heat, add chopped chocolate, salt and let it sit for 10 mins. After 10 minute mark, stir and that's it. Ganache is ready. Let it cool as well
- Assembly is super simple. Over one of the tiers, apply ganache, top with strawberries and flip the other tier and cover with ganache.
Carob and gum are optional. Sugar was perfect. Add 1 and ⅓ cup of sugar, check sweetness and add more if you need. If you see the ganache seep between the tiers, keep a slice of strawberry in the gap, cover the gap, apply more ganache and that would sort the issue. For a nut-free option, replace almond milk with rice/oat milk