No, your eyes haven't deceived you. These sweet snacks consist of chocolate chip cookie dough sandwiched between two crunchy, salty crackers that are then coated in chocolate. They're a unique dessert to bring along to potlucks, but we don't blame you if you want to keep them all at home.
Chocolate-Covered Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Sandwich [Vegan]
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons nut butter of your choice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- A pinch of salt
- 2 bags 10-ounce bags vegan chocolate chips
- About 48 vegan crackers
- 2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Combine all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips and vegetable shortening in a food processor. Process until smooth, scraping down the bowl once or twice if needed. Transfer to a medium bowl and fold in one bag of the chocolate chips.
- Using a tablespoon, place the cookie dough atop one cracker and sandwich with another, pressing gently. Repeat with remaining dough and crackers. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- In the top half of a double boiler set over barely simmering water, melt the remaining chocolate chips and shortening. Stir until smooth and turn off the heat.
- Use a fork to suspend one sandwich over the melted chocolate. Spoon some chocolate over the top and gently tap the bottom of the fork on the edge of the bowl to allow the excess to drip off. Use a second fork to gently nudge the dipped sandwich back onto the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining sandwiches and return to refrigerator to chill. Sandwiches may also be frozen.
Adapted from Crazy for Crust.