This cake is rich, chocolatey, and made extra special with coconut and spiced rum. Whether you like coconut or not (who doesn't like coconut?!), you have to give this dessert a try!
Chocolate Coconut Rum Cake [Vegan]
- 3 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups pure cocoa powder
- 2 cups turbinado raw cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 13.5 fluid ounce (1 can) organic coconut milk
- 1 cup organic sunflower oil plus more for pan
- 1/4 cup spiced rum
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil a 9-inch spring-form pan.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together coconut milk, oil, rum, and vinegar.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and sprinkle the top of the cake with the shredded coconut.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean with a few crumbs clinging to it.
- Cool the cake completely before removing it from the pan.