This cake is rich, chocolatey, and made extra special with the addition of coconut and spiced rum. Whether you like coconut or not (who doesn't like coconut?!), you have to give this dessert a try!
Chocolate Coconut Rum Cake [Vegan]
- 3 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups pure cocoa powder
- 2 cups turbinado raw cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 13.5 fluid ounce (1 can) organic coconut milk
- 1 cup organic sunflower oil plus more for pan
- 1/4 cup spiced rum
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil a 9-inch, spring-form pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together coconut milk, oil, rum, and vinegar.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and sprinkle the top of the cake with the shredded coconut.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean with a few crumbs clinging to it.
- Cool the cake completely before removing from pan.