If you're a lover of those warm, doughy cinnamon rolls that come pre-packaged in a tube, you probably also love that little tub of icing that came with it. And if you really loved the icing, there was probably never enough to keep you satisfied. Well, fear not, because these amazing cinnamon rolls come with a recipe for all the cream cheese icing you'll need! They have the perfect balance of light and dense, with a warm, gooey chocolate filling.
Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls With Cream Cheese Icing [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 1 cup warm cashew milk
- 1 package of instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- 3-4 cups bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 allspice
For the Filling:
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
For the Cream Cheese Icing:
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup cashew milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, yeast, and warm cashew milk. Allow the liquid to sit for 10 minutes until it has started to foam.
- Pour liquid into the bowl of a standing mixer with a dough hook attachment. Add in melted vegan butter, spices, and 1 cup of the bread flour. Turn the mixer to medium speed and continue to add flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough has formed but is no longer sticky.
- Form dough into a ball and place it in a large buttered bowl with a warm damp towel covering the bowl, and allow it to rise for 1 hour or until double in size. You can preheat your oven to 450°F for a minute, turn it off, and then place the bowl with the dough inside to let it rise. But, the dough can rise in any warm place of your preference.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle about 1/4-inch in thickness. Whisk together all of the filling ingredients in a small bowl then brush or spoon the filling evening across the rectangle.
- Starting at one of the shorter ends, roll the dough over itself to form a log-like shape. Use a knife to cut the dough into 1 1/2-inch thick rolls.
- Place rolls into a buttered baking dish (roughly 10 inches long) and allow it to rise for another 15-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake rolls for 20-25 minutes.
- While the rolls are baking, whisk together all of the icing ingredients and set aside.
- After the rolls are finished baking, drizzle the icing across all of the rolls. Serve warm.
Dough recipe adapted from Keepin' It Kind's But I Could Never Go Vegan!