These chocolate chip easter buns are an updated version of a classic holiday treat: Easter Cross Buns. They are packed with chocolate, decadently gooey, and utterly delicious.
Choc-Chip Easter Buns [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Buns:
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup ground gluten-free rolled oats or raw cashews
- 1/2-1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chai spice mix or mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or paste
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons ground flax soaked in 4 tablespoons warm water – leave for 5 minutes
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax seeds plus 6 tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
For the Cross
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon maple or rice syrup
To Make the Buns:
- Preheat oven to 356°F and line a square baking dish with baking paper.
- Add the water to the ground flax and let sit while you get the dry ingredients ready.
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir them to combine.
- Add all of the wet ingredients to a blender and blend until well incorporated and the flax is nice and loose. This will ensure that it distributes through the mix evenly.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir them through until you get a thick dough.
- With damp hands shape the mix into 8 even balls and drop them into the baking dish.
For the Cross:
- Blend the cashews until they become fine then add the water and sweetener. Stir everything well to ensure there are no lumps.
- Spoon the mix into a small clip lock bag then snip a small tip of one of the bottom corners to create a nozzle. Carefully pipe the mix over the buns to create the traditional Easter bun cross.
- Place buns into the center of the oven and bake them for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- While they are still hot carefully pour a small amount of the syrup onto the buns then spread this with a basting brush.