Have you ever imagined eating oatmeal with chopsticks? It’s so much fun! After discovering this Chinese Oatmeal recipe in my beloved kitchen, I usually eat oatmeal with chopsticks. I feel so excited at the thought of it and it brings me so much pleasure. It’s a great way to break the monotony of oatmeal.
Chinese Oatmeal [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic
- 1/4 cup scallions
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 cup cabbage (chopped/shredded)
- 1/2 cup julienned carrots
- 1/2 cup baby corn (chopped)
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 cup steel cut quick cooking oats
- Salt according to taste
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan/wok, add basil and garlic.
- Immediately add scallions and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add green pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cabbage, mix and cook covered for 2 minutes or until cabbage starts to cook. (Cabbage must maintain its crunchy texture and avoid mushiness).
- Now add carrots and baby corn and cook uncovered again for 1 minute.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, black pepper and mix well.
- Now add warm water and boil for 2-3 minutes (Make sure the water has the cooked flavor and no raw taste).
- Now add steel cut oats and stir thoroughly until well blended.
- Lastly add salt according to taste and cook covered for 4-5 minutes depending on your preference of how chewy you want your oatmeal.
- Serve hot.
Instant oats can also be used in place of steel cut oats. For this dry roast the instant oats first. Follow rest of the directions and after adding water and oats cook for 2-3 minutes only depending on your preference of how chewy you want your oats. (Instant oats cooks faster than steel cut oats so be watchful). This oatmeal will be wet pilaf like texture but not runny and not too dry. (Somewhat porridge like texture). Feel free to add green chili sauce to bring out the Indo-Chinese flavor to this oatmeal recipe. Leftover can be refrigerated for 2-3 days in an air tight glass container.