Stir-fried eggplant and green beans, as the name suggest, is a stir fry of the two vegetables on a savory, spicy sauce made with soy sauce and chilis. It is a common Chinese homestyle dish, like blanched Asian greens. It’s a very simple dish, hence it can be prepared on a daily basis to accompany other Chinese dishes. All you need is to quickly stir fry two of its main ingredients then season accordingly.
Chinese Homestyle Stir-Fried Eggplant and Green Beans [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 8.8 ounces green beans, sliced into 2-inch sections
- 2 Asian eggplants or 1 Italian Eggplant, sliced into 2-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon ginger, julienned
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 dried chilis, sliced
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce (see notes)
- Ground white pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- In a wok add 1/2 cup of oil, heat to its smoking point, add the green beans and cook until it is cooked and blisters appear. Remove from wok, place in a colander to drain excess oil.
- Drain wok leaving 2 tablespoons of oil. Also in high heat, add the eggplants and stir fry until edges are light brown. Remove from wok, then set aside.
- Add one tablespoon of oil into the wok, sauté garlic, ginger and chillies until fragrant. Add the eggplants and green beans then the light soy sauce, vegetarian oyster sauce, salt, and white pepper. Continue to cook for 2 more minutes, then serve.
Look for vegetarian oyster sauce at the Asian grocery store.