These healthy brownies are extremely fudgey and moist. Lining your baking dishes with parchment paper will help you pull the entire cooked contents out of the slow cooker and pan. It will be very hard, maybe impossible, to get the brownies out of the dish in one piece if you skip this step. You can use a 6-quart (5.7 L) oval slow cooker and two small 3-cup (705 ml) rectangular Pyrex dishes to make this recipe. You can use different sizes, but make sure the dishes you plan to use fit in your slow cooker before you start making the batter!
Chile Chocolate Black Bean Brownies [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup (40 g) rolled oats (*use gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup (60 g) chopped walnuts
- 1 can (15 ounces, or 420 g) black beans, drained and rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups (340 g) homemade
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3 tablespoons (45 g) applesauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (60 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chile powder (cayenne or chipotle work well)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon1 teaspoon vanilla extract
The Night Before:
- Process the rolled oats in a food processor to a flour-like consistency. (You can substitute instant oatmeal instead if you have it on hand.) Remove the oats and put in a large mixing bowl with the walnuts. Add the beans, bananas, applesauce, agave, cocoa, chile powder, cinnamon, and vanilla to the food processor and process until smooth.
- Add this mixture to the mixing bowl with the oats and stir to combine.
- Line the baking dishes with parchment paper, cut long enough to hang over the edge of the pan. Spoon the brownie mixture over it. You will need to push it into the corners or your brownies won’t have the shape you’re expecting. Cover and store in the fridge.
To Prepare the Brownies:
- Roll up some aluminum foil, make a ring with it, and place in the bottom of the slow cooker. Put the baking dishes on top of the foil ring. (I arranged one dish crisscrossed over the other on top of the aluminum foil ring.) Place a clean dish towel underneath the lid to catch the condensation.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.