Chickpeas are not only the main attraction of this dish, but an excellent source of protein! This delicious and satisfying loaf is also great on a sandwich with some extra maple glaze.
Chickpea Loaf With Maple Glaze [Vegan]
For the Loaf:
- 2 15-ounce cartons of cooked chickpeas
- 1 small onion chopped (3/4 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup aquafaba liquid from carton of chickpeas
For the Glaze:
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan.
- Put all the loaf ingredients into a food processor and process until combined but still a little chunky being careful not to puree.
- Gently press the mixture into the greased loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, maple syrup and mustard.
- Brush the mixture over the entire loaf.
- Half way through cooking, spoon a little extra ketchup glaze on top
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
- I like to serve it with a little extra glaze on the side.