Chickpea fries are incredibly fast and easy to make. It’s just like making polenta fries except you pan-fried these instead of baking them. They are large, crispy, spicy and addictive- especially when served with a creamy dipping sauce.
Chickpea Fries [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Chickpea Fries [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Oil or cooking spray for pan
How to Prepare Chickpea Fries [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium sized saucepan. Add the chickpea flour slowly and stir until smooth. Add 1 Tbs. oil and spices and mix for another minute or two until it is thickened. Remove from the heat. Oil a small baking dish or casserole pan. Spread the chickpea batter into the pan evenly, smoothing the top with a spatula. Refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight until it is firm and solid.
- Remove from the refrigerator. Loosen the edges with a butter knife or thin spatula. Turn the dish over while keeping one hand on the chickpea block and carefully let the block land on a cutting board. Cut the block into fries. You should get at least 16 fries depending on the size you cut them.
- Heat the remaining oil in a skillet over medium high heat and cook the chickpea fries until they are browned and crispy on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel lined dish or cooling rack and sprinkle with Kosher salt. Serve with your favorite dip.
Total Calories: 596 | Total Carbs: 53 g | Total Fat: 34 g | Total Protein: 21 g | Total Sodium: 2179 g | Total Sugar: 10 g Calculation not including cooking spray or oil for the pan.Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.