These chickpea crab cakes are crispy on the outside and soft and warm on the inside. In addition to the garlic, parsley, green onions, and cracked black pepper in these patties, what truly gives them that authentic sea food taste are the dulse flakes. Serve these on a bed of greens, on a sprouted bun, or by itself. They can be garnished several ways, although we suggest a good squeeze of lemon or a drizzle of tahini.
Chickpea Crab Cakes [Vegan]
- 1/4 red onion, cut into quarters
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper, cut into quarters
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup packed parsley
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons dulse flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 turns of cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Place the red onion, red bell pepper, garlic, and parsley in a food processor and pulse until all of the ingredients have been chopped up with no big pieces of anything remaining.
- Add the garbanzo beans to the food processor and pulse until most of them are chopped up. It's okay if there are a few whole beans.
- Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl. Into that same mixing bowl, add the green onions, ground flaxseeds, dulse, salt, and pepper, and mix with a spoon until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- Make nine equal size patties and place them on a parchment covered baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes on one side, flip and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.