If you like to drink soda every day, this is an excellent replacement. Make a double or triple batch of the naturally sweetened Cherry Syrup to have on hand whenever a craving for soda hits. Copyright © 2019 Simon & Schuster, Inc. Used by permission of the publisher, Adams Media, a division of Simon and Schuster. All rights reserved.
Cherry Soda [Vegan]
For the Cherry Syrup:
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pitted sweet cherries
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon pure stevia powder
For the Cherry Soda:
- 3 cups club soda
- 1 cup cherry syrup
- First, make the Cherry Syrup. Heat the cherries and water in a small saucepan over medium heat to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the cherries and water are simmering, mash the cherries to release more flavor.
- Remove from heat and strain the cherries through a fine mesh sieve. Use the back of a wooden spoon to remove as much liquid from the cherries as possible.
- Stir in stevia. Cherry syrup may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- For each serving of cherry soda: pour 3/4 cup club soda into a glass.
- Top with 1/4 cup cherry syrup and stir to combine.