This sweet and fresh sponge cake is full of refreshing fruit flavors. Perfect for a snack, a dessert, or whenever you're feeling like a tasty treat!
Cherry and Banana Sponge Cake [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups of cherries
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup of vegetable margarine
- 1/2 cup of soy milk
- 1 cup of wheat flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
For the glaze:
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 handful of nuts
- 3 tablespoons of water
- In a bowl, mix the margarine with the sugar until they are well incorporated. Crush the bananas with a fork or a masher and mix them with the margarine.
- Mix the soy milk and the flour with the yeast, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well combined.
- Cut the cherries in half and remove the pits. Add the cherries to the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a sponge cake pan with margarine or cover it with parchment paper. Pour the dough into the pan and bake for 30-40 minutes. Let cool a little.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze. Crush the nuts until they are like a flour. Heat the sugar, water and crushed walnuts in a saucepan and cook, stirring continuously until a thick caramel is created. Add a little more water if the glaze is too thick.
- Pour the glaze over the sponge cake, let it cool, cut into portions and serve.