Today I’m going to share a recipe for polenta with winter greens, a filling dish perfect for lunch or dinner. Talk about comfort food! This, loaded with garlic, onions, and broccolini will also hit the spot.
Cheesy Polenta With Hearty Greens [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 pound broccolini or two servings of another hearty green, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced into half moons or petals
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- Olive oil for sauteeing
- Red pepper flakes
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- 2 1/2 cups water (add more or less to control the consistency of the polenta)
- 1/2 cup "quick" gluten-free polenta
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/3 cup or more freshly grated vegan parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil and a pinch of red pepper flakes in a large skillet.
- Add the onions and saute until they begin to change color, then add the garlic and saute for a few minutes more.
- Stir in the broccolini and continue to saute for a couple minutes, then reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Stir occasionally and add some more oil or water as needed to prevent sticking. Keep warm after the broccolini is tender.
- After starting the onions, heat the water and ½ teaspoon or so of salt in a large saucepan.
- When the water begins to gently boil, pour in the polenta while stirring. Continue to stir until the mix begins to thicken and sputter.
- Reduce the heat and stir occasionally to move the polenta off the bottom and sides of the pan, until it is cooked through, about 15 minutes or so for the quick cooking kind. Refer to the packaging or carefully give it a taste.
- Stir in the butter and parmesan cheese. Add more liquid to adjust the consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When the broccolini is tender, add the zest and juice of half a lemon.
- To serve, spoon some polenta into a bowl and top with the broccolini and onions. Garnish with a few shavings of parmesan cheese.