This simple (but very delicious) vegan lasagna recipe involves nothing more complex than a pan, a dish, an oven, and a blender. Spinach is sautéed, combined with mushrooms and cream cheese, and then laid down on a dish for the base. From there, the lasagna alternates between tender layers of pasta and velvety cheese sauce, and eventually is topped with sliced tomatoes and a sprinkling of grated "cheese."
Creamy 3-Cheese Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach
- 3 3/4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese (omit garlic and rosemary)
- 1/2 of a 14-ounce package of firm silken tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Dried lasagna sheets
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Vegan cashew cheese
- Grease or mist a large dish with oil. Preheat the oven to 355°F.
- Discard any large spinach stalks. Put a large sauté pan over a low-medium heat and add a little water (enough to cover the bottom should do it). Wilt the spinach in batches by adding it to the pan, covering the pan with a lid and leaving it for a minute or two. Remove to a sieve or colander and leave to drain while you cook the remaining spinach.
- Once all the spinach is cooked, transfer it to a large bowl. Stir in cream cheese, mushrooms, and spices. Set to one side.
- Now, make the cheese sauce. Add the tofu, milk, nutritional yeast, tahini, and mustard to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Depending on the water content of your tofu, you might need to add a little water. Add a tablespoon at a time, if needed until a thick sauce is formed.
- Now, assemble the lasagna. Pour a little of the cheese sauce over bottom of your greased dish. Now add half of the spinach and mushroom mix.
- Top this with dried lasagna sheets, then pour over more cheese sauce.
- Add the remaining spinach mixture.
- Top this with more lasagna sheets and pour over the remaining cheese sauce. Top with sliced tomato and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Place in the center of the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is golden. Remove from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.