Believe it or not, cheddar makes for a great addition to apple pie and is very much so a thing! This cheddar apple pie oatmeal will surprise you and make your breakfast so much more enjoyable.
Cheddar Apple Pie Oatmeal [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1 red apple, or half a large one
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel cut oats
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rounded apple pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon molasses
- Pinch of salt
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup cheddar-style shreds
- Add milk of choice to a saucepan. Dice or grate apple. Bring to a simmer and let the apples cook on their own for 2-3 minutes.
- Add oats. Stir occasionally.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla, apple pie spice, molasses, and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, turn off heat and gently fold in cheddar shreds, but do not stir it into the oatmeal completely. (You want to keep it heterogenous.) Let sit for a minute or two to give the cheddar a chance to melt slightly.
- Transfer to a bowl. Add other toppings if desired, such as walnuts or extra apple.