The toppings are what make this pizza unique. Char Siu is Cantonese barbecue that is a little sweet and a little tangy. In this recipe, the pizza sauce is made from a blend of hoisin sauce, tomato paste, ginger, and Chinese 5-spice. Then, cannellini beans, Shiitake mushrooms, and bell peppers are quick marinated and the pizza is topped with steamed chard and shredded vegan cheese.
Char Siu Pizza: Pizza With Chinese Barbecue Sauce and Marinated Shiitake [Vegan]
For the Pizza:
- Your favorite pizza dough, enough for two 12-inch pizzas
For the Marinade:
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sweetener
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice
- 1/2 pound Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans (about 2 cups cooked beans)
For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 1-inch piece ginger, grated
- 1 bunch chard
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator to warm while the oven preheats. Preheat oven to 450°F. Divide the dough into two pieces. Place a piece on a parchment paper and push it out into a circle; the size depends on whether you like thin crust or thick crust.
To Make the Marinade:
- Combine the hoisin, vinegar, sweetener, tahini, garlic, and five-spice in a large bowl. Mix well. Add the sliced mushrooms, bell pepper strips, and beans. Mix gently and set aside.
To Make the Sauce:
- Combine the hoisin sauce, tomato paste, tahini and ginger in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
To Make the Pizza:
- Steam the chard until tender. Cool enough to handle and squeeze out the liquid. Chop the chard and set aside.
- Spread half of the pizza sauce on one of the pizza doughs. Add 1/2 cup of cheese on the pizza and half of the vegetables and beans. Bake for 6 minutes. Remove the paper and continue to bake until crisp about 8 -10 more minutes. Add half the chard.
- Repeat with the other portion of dough and toppings. Serve.