Channa dal kosambari is a South Indian style salad recipe usually served on special occasions like marriages. It is prepared by mixing vegetables and soaked pulses, then followed by tempering. This is a typical South Indian style preparation, with lots of curry leaves. Top this salad with toasted coconut flakes and serve it with grains of your choice, such as millet or quinoa.
Channa Dal Kosambi: South Indian Lentil and Vegetable Salad [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup channa dal/split Bengal gram, soaked in water for 3 hours
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup grated beets
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup grated raw mango
- 2 green chilis, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- A pinch of asofoetida/garlic powder/onion powder
- 10-15 curry leaves
- Soak the channa dal in enough water for minimum 2-3 hours. Now, drain the water completely and grind the channa dal in a mixer until you get a coarse paste, or use an ammi kallu (masala grinding stone).
- Add the ground channa dal, grated carrot, grated beets, chopped cucumber, grated raw mango, and chopped chilis to a mixing bowl. Mix everything well.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper the mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, and asofoetida/garlic powder/onion powder. Add this to salad. Now, mix everything well. Adjust salt and spice by adding pepper powder, to taste, and serve.
- Beet Recipes