Champiñones al ajillo or garlic mushrooms in English is a very popular Spanish tapas dish made from sautéed mushrooms with garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and chilis. This dish is not popular only in Spain but the Philippines as well, due to Spanish influence. This is usually served as a side dish paired with simple grilled or fried dishes or as a pulutan (finger food) paired with a really cold cerveza (beer).
Champiñones al Ajillo: Spanish Garlic Mushroom Tapas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 1/2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 20 small White Button mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook until golden brown.
- Put the heat on high then, add the mushrooms and stir fry for around 2 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.