When chilly mornings have you wanting to stay inside, whip up a batch of these waffles. The chai-inspired spices will keep you warm!
Chai-Spiced Sweet Potato Waffles [Vegan]
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 1/3 cup unbleached organic all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 1/3 cup of organic brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil, melted
- Pre-heat a waffle iron.
- In a measuring cup, combine the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar, then set aside to curdle.
- In a small bowl, mix together ground flax seeds and hot water. Set aside to thicken
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and chai spices. Make a well in the center and set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together sweet potato, brown sugar, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and flax “egg,” then whisk in the milk.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture in the well of the dry ingredients. With a spatula, fold the wet into the dry. Be careful not to over mix.
- Spray the waffle iron with cooking spray and cook according to your waffle iron’s instructions.