This elegant cake is vibrantly spiced, simple, and delicious. The chai batter is airy, perfumed with just a hint of sweetness, and then topped with a luxuriously decadent cinnamon buttercream frosting and studded with roasted walnuts. This cake can be served with a casual cup of coffee or at the end of a formal dinner.
Chai Cake With Cinnamon Buttercream [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cake:
- 1 3/4 cups flour (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup chai concentrate
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
For the Frosting:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Toasted walnuts, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar mix everything well.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the almond milk, chai concentrate, olive oil, vanilla, and vinegar.
- Mix this well using an electric mixer or a whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Add the cake batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake it for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick into the center comes out clean. Halfway through baking, cover the pan with foil to prevent the top from browning.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. Cream the butter using an electric mixer. Then, mix in the powdered sugar all the way.
- Add the almond milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Continue to mix the frosting until it's light and fluffy.
- When the cake is completely cool, remove it from the loaf pan. Trim the edges and the top of the cake. Then, frost the cake and dress the sides with toasted walnuts. For a finishing touch, flick a very small amount of ground cinnamon over the top of the cake.