I’ve seen pictures on social media of all these carrot dogs and they always look so good I knew I had to give them a try. Once they were done, it was time for the moment of truth. They looked like hot dogs. I put one carrot dog on a bun which made it look even more like a hot dog. What a great idea to enjoy a hot dog without soy, gluten or any ingredients at all other than the marinade! I can’t wait to make them again!
Carrot Dogs [Vegan]
- 8 large carrots
- ¼ cup gluten-free tamari
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- A few dashes Liquid Smoke
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 8 gluten-free hot dog buns
- I Heart New York Red Onion Sauce (See recipe HERE)
- Peel the carrots, cut off the ends and cut them into the shape of hot dogs that will fit your buns. Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the carrots until they are just fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain them and run them under cool water to stop the cooking.
- In an air-tight storage container, mix the tamari, water, vinegar, garlic powder and liquid smoke. Marinate the carrots in the fridge for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the carrots from the marinade and arrange them in the skillet in a single layer. Add a few spoons of the marinade and cook until the carrots begin to caramelize. Rotate them often.
- Serve on buns with mustard, sauerkraut and red onion sauce or your favorite toppings.