For New Yorkers, there's nothing like a delicious red onion sauce to go on your hot dog. But, what if you eat plant-based and avoid hot dogs like the plague? Never fear! I came up with my own recipe for the red onion sauce and it’s amazing. It’s rich, tomato-y and tangy. I can eat it out of the pot with a spoon. I can and I did. I dare say that it's even better than the one that comes from the carts and bonus points for the fact that you can put it over your favorite brand of veggie based dog.
Red Onion Sauce [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Red Onion Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. arrowroot powder
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs. brown sugar
- A few dashes of hot sauce
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. chile powder
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt, divided
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic or 1 tsp. garlic powder
How to Prepare Red Onion Sauce [Vegan]
- In a bowl, combine the water and arrowroot powder. Whisk until it’s smooth.
- Add in the ketchup, vinegar, mustard, brown sugar, and hot sauce.
- Mix in the cinnamon, chile powder, ½ tsp. of salt and the pepper. Whisk until the mixture is smooth. Taste for seasoning adjustments.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions to the skillet. Season the onions with the remaining ½ tsp. of salt.
- Add the garlic and cook until the onions are softened but not browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the pan and toss so that the onions are coated.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens and the onions are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning again and add more water if the sauce is too thick.
- Remove from the heat and set aside until ready to serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 1,330 | Total Carbs: 41 g | Total Fat: 28 g | Total Protein: 3 g | Total Sodium: 256 mg | Total Sugar: 26 g 1,330 41 28 3 256 26Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.