With cinnamon, nutmeg and a hint of cloves, these Carrot Cookies are a tasty treat that you really don’t have to feel all that bad about. Yeah they’ve got sugar but they’ve also got the good stuff: Carrots, walnuts, flax and whole grain spelt flour. Not bad for a ‘treat.’
Carrot Cookies [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raw oatmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter baking stick at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl combine your ground flax and water, give it a quick stir and set it aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine your spelt flour, all purpose flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using an electric stand mixer (or handheld mixer), cream your butter for about a minute on medium speed.
- Add your granulated and brown sugar to the butter and continue to mix for another 2 minutes.
- Add your vanilla and flax/ water combo. Beat for another minute or until well incorporated.
- Slowly add your dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Add your carrots and walnuts and mix for another minute.
- Roll the cookie dough into little balls using approximately 1 1/2-2 tablespoons of dough per cookie and place on your cookie sheet. I use stone cookie sheets and can place them directly on the sheets. If you are using something else you may need to place parchment paper down first to prevent sticking.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until bottom outer edges start to turn golden.
- Cool on baking racks before digging in!