Do you love caramel, pears, or maple syrup? How about combined with each other? If so, then you must try this vegan desert. These vegan sweeteners paired up make for a great team to serve you and all your dessert cravings.
Caramel Pear Oat Squares [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 flax egg (mix 1 tablespoon flax seeds, grounded, with 3 tablespoon water)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon buttery spread, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon plant-based milk
- 2 pears, peeled, thinly sliced and chopped in 1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon fleur de sel
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon smooth cashew butter (or peanut butter)
- Make the flax egg and set aside.
- Line a 9 x 9 square pan with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- In a bowl, mix oats, flour, baking soda, salt and brown sugar.
- In a second bowl, mix flax egg, melted earth balance, maple syrup, vanilla and milk.
- Add wet to dry ingredients and mix, using your hands if necessary.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of the mixture and pour the rest in the pan.
- Wet your hands and press the mixture down. Place chopped pears on top.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare caramel.
- In a small saucepan, bring brown rice syrup and vegan butter to a boil.
- Stir well and reduce to medium heat. Stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add fleur de sel, maple syrup and nut butter and continue stirring until mixture gets thick (at least 5 minutes). It is important to stir constantly or the caramel will burn.
- Pour caramel everywhere over pears. You won’t be able to spread it after since it hardens quickly.
- Sprinkle reserved oat mixture on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes, then place in refrigerator at least 30 minutes.
- Remove gently from pan (lift with the parchment paper) and keep in fridge until ready to serve.