In this decadent nice cream sundae, the apples are blended with the bananas for a fresh apple-flavored frozen dessert that is as yummy as it is unexpected. It's then layered with warm homemade caramel sauce and chopped peanuts, for a delicious treat that tastes just like biting into a caramel apple. You could even make this a decadent breakfast by adding fresh chopped apples and homemade granola.
Caramel Apple Nice Cream Sundae [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Apple Nice Cream:
- 2 small apples, cored, sliced and frozen
- 2 bananas, peeled, sliced and frozen
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk of choice
- A pinch of cinnamon and ginger (optional)
For the Easy Caramel Sauce:
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (other granulated sweeteners should work – brown sugar, cane sugar, etc)
- 3 tablespoons nut butter of choice (tahini works, too)
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/3 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped for topping
- Make the caramel sauce. Add the first four ingredients to a small pot and whisk, turn heat to medium and bring to a low boil, continue whisking/stirring. Turn heat to low and continue cooking for about 3-5 minutes. The caramel should be bubbling up slowly but not rapidly boiling; we don’t want to burn it. When it thickly coats the back of a spoon it is ready. Turn the heat off.
- Make the nice cream. Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend until it just reaches soft serve consistency and no chunks of frozen fruit remain.
- Layer the nice cream, a drizzle of warm caramel, and chopped nuts in two small jars, or one large sundae dish to share. Save leftover caramel for dipping apples or topping oatmeal