This quiche will elevate your brunch game to a whole new level. The faux egg mixture has the spring and texture of eggs and the hints of black salt gives it an eggy flavor. When you add that the tender roasted cauliflower and the savory sautéd vegetable, you get a breakfast classic.
‘Can’t Tell the Difference’ Quiche [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Quiche Mixture
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt
For the Rest:
- 1 batch shortcrust pastry, enough to line a quiche dish.
- 10 ounces cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 4-5 slices of tomato for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the cauliflower in a bowl with 1 teaspoon of the oil and the 1/4 teaspoon salt and coat well it well.
- Place it on a foiled baking tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until it’s softened and slightly charred. Remove it and put it to one side.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, add the other teaspoon of oil to a frying pan and fry the onions, with a pinch of salt, for 3-4 minutes until they start to caramelize.
- Add the peppers and continue to cook everything on a low heat for 7-8 minutes until the onions are very caramelized and the peppers have softened then set this aside.
- Line an oiled quiche dish with the pastry, prick the bottom with a fork, and bake it for 15 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven and put it to one side as you prepare the filling.
- In a bowl, add the chickpea flour and one of the cups of water. Whisk this together well and put it to one side.
- In a wide bottomed saucepan, add the final 1 1/2 cups of water, the stock cube, nutritional yeast, turmeric, sage, and black salt (or the sea salt).
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- When the water comes to the boil, slowly pour in the chickpea mixture and stir it continuously.
- Once all the mixture has been combined, lower the heat and continue to stir continuously for 2-3 minutes until the mixture becomes thick and glossy.
- Add in the cauliflower and the vegetables and combine everything well. This will be a very solid mixture.
- Pour this into the prepared pastry crust, leveling it with a spatula, and top it with the sliced tomatoes.
- Put it into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven and brush the top with some melted vegan butter and place back into the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove it and allow it to cool completely before serving.
- Bell Pepper
- Chickpea Flour
- Nutritional Yeast / Nooch
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 1033 | Total Carbs: 127 g | Total Fat: 37 g | Total Protein: 40 g | Total Sodium: 2038 g | Total Sugar: 38 g Per Serving: Calories: 258 | Carbs: 32 g | Fat: 9 g | Protein: 10 g | Sodium: 510 mg | Sugar: 10 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile