These veggie rolls are stuffed with filling lentils and rice, with lots of veggies like onions, and porcini mushrooms. Vegetable broth adds a layer of savory flavor and then it's baked in a homemade tomato sauce. These rolls are comfort food without the heavy feeling.
Cabbage Rolls [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 cup small de Puy lentils
- 1 teaspoon dried porcini mushroom pieces
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 12 cabbage leaves
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14.11-ounce cans tomatoes
- Salt and sugar, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large deep pan
- Fry the sliced onions in oil until they soften and begin to brown
- Add the raw rice and lentils to the pan, crumble the porcini mushrooms, stir and add enough stock to cover by 1 cm.
- Bring to the boil, turn the heat down to the lowest setting, cover and cook until the rice and lentils are just tender and the liquid is absorbed. You may need to add more stock or water. Don't overcook, they will cook a bit more in the tomato sauce later.
- Stir through the lemon zest and parsley.
- Heat the oil in a pan and briefly fry the garlic
- Add the tomatoes, crush and cook until reduced slightly.
- Season with salt to taste, and if needed add a small amount of sugar if the tomatoes are a bit too acidic.
- Take the leaves and submerge them in boiling water until they are limp.
- Remove them and drain.
- Remove the hard stems.
- Lay the leaves flat and add filling to the leaf closer to the stem end.
- Roll the leaf tightly, folding in the sides as you go and folding over again.
- Place the rolls seam side down into a baking dish.
- Don't worry if the are a bit messy or the filling is spilling out.
- When they are packed together and baked they will stay intact.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the rolls, cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 350°F.
- Check them once or twice during cooking and if they look dry pour in a little stock to keep moist.