Beat it, pumpkin! There's a new gourd in town, and its name is butternut squash. Sure, you've probably had butternut squash roasted or pureed into soup, but it really shines in this creamy and sweet autumnal pie. Adding tart, juicy apples really seal the deal on its deliciousness!
Butternut Squash Apple Pie [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Butternut Squash Apple Pie [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or maple sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons coconut oil in its solid state
- About 3-6 tablespoons cold water
For the Apples:
- 3 medium tart-sweet apples, diced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- A pinch sea salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
For the Filling:
- 2 cups cooked butternut squash, packed
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 /4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon agar powder
How to Prepare Butternut Squash Apple Pie [Vegan]
To Make the Crust:
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, sea salt, and spices. Cut in coconut oil with a pastry blender or two knives until it is in pea-sized pieces.
- Mix in just enough water to create a smooth dough that holds together but isn't too sticky. Add more water if needed, and knead slightly until a smooth dough is created.
- Roll out into a 9-inch circle on a sheet of parchment paper, then use the paper to help you transfer it to an 8-inch pie dish. Flute the edges, and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
To Make the Apples:
- Place them in a sauté pan over medium heat with all of the other ingredients, cover with a lid, and cook until the apples are tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
To Make the Squash Filling:
- Place all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.
To Make the Pie:
- Scatter the apples over the crust, then pour the filling over that.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes until the edges of the crust are lightly brown, and pie is set. Allow to cool completely.
- Serve with coconut whipped cream if desired.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 2682 | Total Carbs: 419 g | Total Fat: 123 g | Total Protein: 8 g | Total Sodium: 1478 g | Total Sugar: 211 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.