This recipe is a whole new take on quesadillas. Tender toasted butternut squash, black beans, and kale are combined to create a meal that's savory, slightly spicy, and delicious. These quesadillas make a quick and easy lunch. Serve with a side of guacamole, spicy salsa, and vegan sour cream
Butternut, Kale, and Black Bean Quesadillas [Vegan]
- 4 gluten-free tortillas
- 1/2 13.5-ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 large handfuls of kale
- 2 cups of chopped butternut squash
- 4 tablespoons of roasted red pepper hummus
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Roast, sauté, or steam the butternut squash. If roasting, preheat the oven to 400°F. Toss the squash with a little bit of olive oil, sea salt, and pepper and roast for 25-30 minutes until tender.
- In a sauté pan, add a small amount of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat.
- Add kale with a dash a sea salt and pepper and sauté until wilted. Set kale aside.
- In the same sauté pan, add a tortilla one at a time over medium heat to brown each side. You may need to add a small amount of oil if the pan is dry.
- After tortillas are browed and slightly crispy, spread hummus on top.
- Layer the kale, squash, and black beans, top with the second tortilla, and cut into triangles.