This take on a classic salad reminds me of many family dinners eaten out at The Brown Derby: a big, crunchy wedge of lettuce topped with a creamy dressing and sprinkled with salty bacon. My version subs tempeh for bacon and adds refreshing sweetness with juicy pears.
Butter Lettuce Wedges With Sunflower Seed Dressing, Pears and Tempeh Bacon [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Butter Lettuce Wedges With Sunflower Seed Dressing, Pears and Tempeh Bacon [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp. dried chives, or 1 Tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 large heads butter lettuce, cut into quarters
- 2 ripe pears, cored and thinly sliced
- Tempeh bacon, crumbled or chopped (exclude if going for 100% raw)
How to Prepare Butter Lettuce Wedges With Sunflower Seed Dressing, Pears and Tempeh Bacon [Vegan]
- Add the sunflower seeds through the salt in a high-speed or regular blender and process until very smooth. Add the chives and parsley and pulse a few times to incorporate. Set aside.
- Place two butter lettuce wedges each in four bowls. Divide the pear slices, the tempeh bacon and the dressing between the bowls. Serve.
If the dressing is too thick, add water, a little bit at at time, to get the consistency you like.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.