Eating whole, unprocessed foods from plants means lots of fiber and complex carbohydrates. These come with all kinds of benefits! A plant-based Mexican favorite filled with brown rice, black beans, veggies and cheese-less queso.
Burritos with Simple Queso [Vegan]
For the Prep:
- 4 squares of aluminum foil
For the Burritos:
- 1/2 cup brown rice or other whole grain
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 10-12 inch 100% whole grain tortillas
For the Simple Queso:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Place brown rice and 1 cup of water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, add diced onion and bell pepper to a medium skillet with 2 tablespoons water over medium heat. Saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously, add black beans, corn, chili powder and cumin and saute for an additional 2-3 minutes. Once veggies are soft, remove from heat and set aside.
- To make queso, add all queso ingredients to food processor and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. To reach a smooth consistency, you'll likely need to blend for at least 2 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. To assemble burritos, place a whole grain tortilla on each piece of foil. Spread with queso, leaving about 1 inch around all edges. Add cooked whole grain, to the center of each tortilla, distributing it equally between the 4 tortillas. Repeat with the cooked beans/veggies.
- To roll, fold in the sides and tightly roll into a burrito. Wrap each burrito with foil.
- Place foil wrapped burritos in the oven, cook for 8 minutes. *This step is optional, though allows the flavors to distribute and tortilla to become nice and soft!
These foil-wrapped burritos can be frozen before or after cooking. When you’re ready to enjoy, simply place in the oven at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. HINT: Letting them thaw in the refrigerator or on the counter reduces the cooking time. Since they’re wrapped in foil, you can’t microwave to reheat. Cool leftover burritos and then store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Though the queso is easy and delicious, salsa or hummus can be used in it's place.