This recipe brings together two foodie favorites: smoky maple coconut bacon and sweet, fluffy doughnuts! The doughnut is a guilt-free cake style donut, so no frying here, and the bacon simply requires marinating thick coconut flakes in a mixture of soy sauce, liquid smoke, and maple syrup. The two are brought together with a drizzle of vegan fondant maple icing.
Coconut Maple Bacon Doughnuts [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Coconut Maple Bacon Doughnuts [Vegan]
For the Coconut Bacon:
- 3 cups coconut flakes
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
For the Doughnuts:
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 4 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Fondant Icing:
- 1 cup of confectioner's sugar or maple extract
- 1-3 tablespoons of water
How to Prepare Coconut Maple Bacon Doughnuts [Vegan]
To Make the Coconut Bacon:
- Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl distributing evenly and coating well.
- Layer onto a sheet pan and bake in a preheated 325°F oven for approximately 10-20 minutes checking throughout baking and tossing to make sure it bakes evenly.
To Make the Doughnuts:
- Combine ground flax seed with hot water and whisk smooth. Let stand for at least 10 minutes to thicken to a paste.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond milk, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, brown sugar, flax egg, and salt and whisk smooth.
- Add the sifted flour and baking soda and whisk smooth.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag and pipe half way to the top into each of the cavities of a mini or regular sized doughnut mould pan.
- Bake in a preheated 325°F oven for approximately 8-12 minutes for the minis and about 22 minutes for the larger. When they spring back when gently pressed they are done.
- Let the doughnuts cool. Then prepare the cube fondant with the maple extract or 1 cup of confectioners sugar with 1-3 tablespoons water to desired consistency.
- Dip in icing glaze and then in crispy coconut bacon.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.