This recipe is not for the weak-of-heart. It's a true spicy Buffalo sauce, but you can choose to calm it down a little if you want to!
Buffalo-Style Tofu [Vegan]
For the Buffalo-Style Tofu:
- One package extra-firm tofu, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
For the Marinade:
- 1 cup beer
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- A few dashes salt and pepper
For the Breading Mix for Frying:
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
For the Buffalo Sauce:
- 1/3 cup hot sauce
- 1/4 cup melted vegan margarine
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Press your tofu, then slice into 1/2-inch cubes and marinate (see below). Once the tofu has marinated (for at least one hour), drain it, and combine it in a small bowl with the breading mix to coat the tofu before frying.
- In a large skillet, heat about 2 tablespoon of oil (olive or vegetable) over medium heat. Cook the tofu for 4 to 6 minutes, turning until golden brown and lightly crispy on all sides. Meanwhile, prepare the buffalo sauce.
- Combine buffalo sauce ingredients in a pot and stir well. Raise the heat to medium and stir occasionally until heated through. Add the fried tofu to the sauce when ready, stir, heat, and eat!
If you'd like to decrease the spice a bit, you can try increasing the butter, to 1/3 cup. I would definitely recommend serving this with a vegan ranch. This sauce goes great with any veggie chicken. Sometimes my boyfriend will buy pre-prepared vegetarian buffalo wings and dip into this stuff for a little extra oomph.
- Buffalo Sauce
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 919 | Total Carbs: 60 g | Total Fat: 81 g | Total Protein: 49 g | Total Sodium: 3432 g | Total Sugar: 10 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile