These vegan brownies will make you forget all about dairy-based ones, and are way healthier too! This recipe calls to replace white sugar and white flour, along with of course replacing butter, milk, and eggs.
- 4 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons water
- 2/3 cup vegan butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
For the Glaze:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil – melted
- 1 cup organic confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons water – if needed
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Generously grease an 8 inch square tin.
- Place the ground flax seeds in a bowl and add the water, stir and allow to sit for 10 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- In a medium bowl combine the vegan butter, coconut sugar, vanilla extract and flax eggs.
- In a large bowl combine the spelt flour, cocoa powder and salt. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the flour to mix with the chocolate chips.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and gently combine, add the the chocolate chips and reserved tablespoon of flour. Stir to combine. Pour the batter into the tin, place in the middle rack of the pre heated oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes until just set. Don’t overcook!
- Remove the brownies from the oven, allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to thoroughly cool. Cut into squares and enjoy as is or add the glaze.
- To make the glaze combine all the ingredients and whisk until smooth. If the mixture is too liquidly add a little more confectioner’s sugar, if it’s too thick add a couple of teaspoons of water. Pour over the brownies.
The brownies are fabulous as they are but if want a little more of a decadent taste go ahead and make the glaze. I used organic confectioner’s sugar (no bone char) but please be aware you will need to sift it, it’s very lumpy and unless it’s sifted the glaze will have lumps too.