This decadent torte is the best of both worlds: brownie and cheesecake! The torte is rich and fudgy, balanced out by sour cherries and a creamy cheesecake topping made from silken tofu that's swirled with even more brownie batter. This cake is a fantastic dessert for any occasion, date night, or when you feel like baking just because.
Brownie Torte With Cherries and Cheesecake Topping [Vegan]
For the Torte:
- 2 cups whole grain flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons, plus 1/3 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 3 teaspoons ground flax seed mixed with 6 teaspoon water
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, liquid
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk, plus more as needed
- 1/2 cup chopped baker's chocolate
For the Topping:
- 1 10-ounce jar cherries, drained
- 1 14-ounce package silken tofu
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 3 teaspoons xylitol or sweetener of choice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 355°F. Mix all the dry ingredients for the brownie in a bowl. Add the wet ingredients and mix to a smooth dough. Finally, stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Grease a 10-inch springform pan and pour in most of the batter (the rest will be swirled with the topping). Top with cherries.
- In a blender, combine the remaining ingredients for the topping, then pour over the batter. Top with remaining batter and lightly swirl it into the top.
- Bake the cake for an hour. Before removing, test whether it is done using a toothpick or chopstick. Let cool before serving.