If you love homemade pillowy ravioli stuffed with an outrageously good filling and finished with a lemony garlic oil – you're going to love this. The simple pasta dough is stuffed with a zesty broccoli rabe pesto and then finished with a homemade lemon garlic olive oil that is to die for.
Broccoli Rabe Pesto Ravioli [Vegan]
For the Pasta Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups semolina flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 cup water
For the Pesto:
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small lemons or 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
For the Oil:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Make the pasta dough first by adding the flours and salt to a food processor. Start processing and slowly pour the water through the opening.
- Process this for a minute or two until it comes together and starts to form a ball. Remove the dough and form it into a ball.
- Set this aside to rest while you make the filling. Blanch the broccoli rabe in boiling water for 2 or 3 minutes until it becomes soft. Remove it and drop it into a bowl of ice water. Drain and squeeze most of the water out of the broccoli rabe and add it to the food processor with the remaining pesto ingredients. Blend this until smooth.
- Taste it and adjust seasonings according to taste. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- In the meantime, cut the pasta dough into four and roll the pasta dough out in a long rectangle as thin as you can get it without it being see through. Trim the ends and sides so it is even.
- Place a teaspoon of filling every inch or so on the rolled out pasta. You can either go half way down the dough and fold the dough over that, or go all the way down and place another sheet on top. Press down the dough all around the filling.
- Cut it into circles or squares either with a ravioli cutter or a knife if you don't have one. If you don't have a ravioli cutter, press down the edges with a fork. Boil a few ravioli at a time for 1-2 minutes, they will float when they are done.
- In a small saucepan, heat the olive oil, lemon juice and crushed garlic for a minute or two Toss the cooked ravioli in the oil.