Guacamole plus broccoli equals broccamole. Creamy avocados are mashed with chopped red onions and minced jalapeño peppers. Adding both lemon and lime juice is our citrus secret, and tossing it with steamed broccoli that has been slightly pulsed in the food processor turns an already delicious guacamole into even more delicious broccamole. Garnish with fresh cilantro and grab a bag of chips: after one bite of broccamole, everyone is going to be wishing for their own avocado tree.
Broccamole [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 medium avocados
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons seeded and minced jalapeño pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Place a steamer basket in a medium saucepan, add a few inches of water, cover, and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, add the broccoli florets, cover, and steam until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked broccoli to a food processor, and pulse a few times until the largest pieces are the size of a pea.
- Scoop the avocados into a medium bowl, and use a fork to mash them up.
- Add the onion, jalapeño, lemon juice, lime juice, salt, and pepper, and stir well to combine.
- Add the chopped broccoli and stir until blended.
- Taste for salt, lemon, and lime, and adjust if needed.
- Serve with tortilla chips, topped with a handful of chopped cilantro if desired, and enjoy!