Finding a plant-based snack or breakfast bar isn't impossible by any means, but when you do find them, they are typically pricey or full of added ingredients. These bars are perfect as a cheaper, healthier alternative while still lending a yummy flavor!
Breakfast Oat Squares [Vegan]
- 4 cups of oats, divided
- 3 tablespoons ground flax
- 3/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 5 ounces dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 4 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Add 2 cups of the oats and the ground flaxseed to a food processor. Pulse until the oats are ground.
- In a large bowl, add the ground oats and flax. Add the remaining 2 cups of oats, walnuts, and dried cherries. Give it a stir until well combined.
- Using the double boiler method, add the brown rice syrup, peanut butter, cocoa powder, vanilla, and chocolate chips. Stir often until melted. The mixture will not be very liquid-y when it is all melted, but rather thick; almost like a thick brownie batter. When the mixture is melted, add to the dry ingredients. Mix well with a wooden spoon (or your hands if needed).
- In a 13 x 9 pan, sprinkle half of the coconut on the bottom of the pan. Enough to give it some good coverage.
- Add the bar mixture and press into the pan until evenly spread.
- Sprinkle more coconut on top of the bars and pat down.
- Slice into 16 bars and store in individual plastic bags. Refrigerate for longer keep. Enjoy!