Egg muffins without the egg. Innovation at its finest. Nutritional yeast and black salt make these egg muffins 'eggy!' These are perfect for breakfast: short preparation time, pop em' in the oven, and serve. And they're just way too cute to pass up. They aren't just full of protein, soy-free, and gluten-free but also super delicious.
Breakfast ‘Egg’ Muffins [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the 'Egg' Mixture:
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 cup chickpea (gram) flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kala namak salt (black salt) (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pepper to taste
For the Other Ingredients:
- Finely sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 diced red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spring onions
For the Other Things You'll Need:
- Paper muffin baking cups
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Add all 'egg' mixture ingredients into a blender and blend.
- Then finely sliced a few mushrooms, dice 1/2 red pepper and sauté in a bit of oil until they have softened and most of the water from the mushrooms has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Then add the sautéed vegetables to a large bowl.
- Pour the 'egg' mixture into the bowl as well and add finely sliced spring onions. Mix together.
- Add paper baking cups to a muffin tray and spoon the mixture into the cups. It will be a bit liquidy but don't worry about it, it will work out fine. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with a fresh salad on the side.
You can refrigerate them and then reheat again. Or even freeze, the chickpea flour is quite stable. You can purchase black salt online.