This bread pudding is baked with dried fruit, walnuts and homemade butterscotch sauce. The best part of this dessert is that it is 100% vegan and there’s no way you can guess that from tasting it.
Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce [Vegan]
For Butterscotch Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Vegan Butter
- 1/2 cup Coconut Sugar or Vegan Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Vegan Creamer
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch or Arrowroot powder
For Bread Pudding:
- 6 cups French or Sourdough bread, cubed (preferably stale)
- 1 cup Dates (or dried apricots, raisins etc)
- 1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups Almond Milk (or other non-dairy Milk)
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/4 cup Coconut Sugar or Vegan Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For Butterscotch Pudding:
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the coconut sugar, creamer, non-dairy milk and agave syrup. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the vanilla and salt.
Whisk corn syrup in 2 tablespoons milk; add this to the butter mixture. Whisking continuously cook for 1-2 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Turn off the heat and let the syrup cool. This can be made up to 1 week in advance and chilled in an airtight container until ready to use.
For Bread Pudding:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray your pan.
In a large bowl, combine the bread, dates, raisins (or other dry fruit) and walnuts (if using).
In a medium bowl, combine non-dairy milk, applesauce, coconut sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and 1/2 cup of the butterscotch sauce. Add this mixture to the bread mixture and stir until combined. Soak for about 5 minutes.
Transfer the mixture into the prepared pan(s). Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the top is set and beginning to turn golden brown. Remove and let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
Serve with a drizzle of the remaining butterscotch sauce. Enjoy!!