Doner kebabs are an iconic Turkish dish that features slow-cooked rotisserie meats stuffed into pita bread or on top of flatbread. In this equally tasty recipe, instead of the doner, you use braised, spiced tofu. Braised tofu is very versatile and I use it for many different dishes- from quick vegan pastas to tofu scrambles. For the yogurt sauce, use store bought soy yogurt (or any plant-based yogurt you like), and some garlic and salt.
Braised Tofu Doner Kebab in Pita With Yogurt Sauce [Vegan]
For the Tofu Doner:
- 1 container of braised/baked tofu, drained
- 1/2 finely chopped onion, keep some for the filling
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1/2 garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mild chili powder (or to taste)
For the Soy Yogurt Dressing:
- 4 tablespoons of soy yogurt (or another non-dairy yogurt)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash of salt
For Assembling the Doner Kebab :
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced cucumbers
- Sliced onions rings
- Chili sauce (such as Sriracha )
- 2 pieces of pita
- Drain the liquid from the braised tofu. Add some oil to a hot pan and fry the tofu with all other doner ingredients for a few minutes until it gets almost crispy.
- To make the soy yogurt sauce, mix up 4 tablespoons of yogurt with 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder and season to taste with a dash of salt.
- Toast a pita bread and then slice open.
- Fill it with salad leaves, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and sliced onion rings. Add the vegan doner ingredients and then top with soy yogurt sauce and chili sauce.