The bread has a crispy crust that is a bit chewy allowing the inside to be soft and tender filled with oh so amazing basil pesto! This bread is excellent with a salad or accompanying a tasty soup.
Braided Pesto Bread [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 0.88 ounces fresh yeast
- 3- 3 1/2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon psyllium
- Pesto, you can use a store bought but it’s always best when it’s homemade. You'll need about 1/2 cup depending how much you love the stuff.
- Combine water, yeast and salt. Add psyllium to flours. Start adding flour to the liquid mixture, stir and mix well until the dough gets softer.
- Add the oil and give a good knead. If you make 2 breads, half the dough
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle, 11 x 7 inches. Spread the pesto generously on the rolled dough.
- Roll the dough into a log, lengthwise. Cut the dough into half, lengthwise.
- Carefully turn the bread upside down and braid. Let rise until the breads are doubled.
- Brush with plant based milk. Bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes until golden brown.