Bok choy is mild in flavor and the stems are lightly sweet and crunchy. It also takes on any flavor it’s cooked with, so it’s the perfect canvas for these Korean spices! This bok choy namul is a quick and easy 10-minute veggie side dish that is hearty, healthy, and full of Korean flavors like gochujang and sesame oil.
Bok Choy Namul: Korean Bok Choy [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Bok Choy Namul: Korean Bok Choy [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 12 ounces bok choy
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon gochujang, depending on your heat level (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari, to make it gluten-free
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
How to Prepare Bok Choy Namul: Korean Bok Choy [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Remove stems from bok choy and discard.
- Make a cornstarch slurry by combining the soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, cornstarch, and water together and set aside.
- Bring 8 cups of water, plus 1/2 teaspoon salt to rolling boil. Then add bok choy for 40 seconds only.
- Remove from water and blanch in cold ice water bath to stop cooking process and strain.
- Add 1 tablespoon cooking oil (vegetable, canola, grapeseed, peanut), garlic, and gochujang to wok or pan before turning on stove top. Then turn on to medium heat. Without burning the garlic, gently mix the garlic and gochujang together to season the oil (approximately 30 seconds).
- Add the bok choy and stir-fry together for 2 minutes. Then add the cornstarch slurry and combine together for 20 seconds.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve immediately.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 143 | Total Carbs: 19 g | Total Fat: 5 g | Total Protein: 7 g | Total Sodium: 850 g | Total Sugar: 11 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.