This is a fruit bread with a difference! This spelt loaf is brimming with fresh berries, lemon, and herbs; making it the perfect versatile bake for breakfast, lunch or a teatime treat! You can enjoy it multiple ways: fresh out of the oven, as a sandwich bread, or toasted with your favorite jam spread on top.
Blueberry Lemon Spelt Loaf [Vegan]
For the Dry Ingredients:
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of good salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- Zest of 1 unwaxed/organic lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
For the Wet Ingredients:
- 7.1 ounces unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 a banana, mashed
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the soy milk and lemon juice in a jug and put to one side.
- Sift the spelt flour into a large mixing bowl and stir in the baking powder, salt, poppy seeds, rosemary, lemon zest, and blueberries. Be careful not to squash the berries.
- Using a fork, whisk together the soy milk, lemon juice, olive oil, and mashed banana in a bowl, until you have a smooth mixture.
- Make a well in the middle of your flour mix and gently stir in the wet ingredients until all is combined.
- Pour into a parchment-lined or lightly oiled loaf tin and tap gently on a work surface to even out the mixture.
- Place on a middle shelf and cook for about 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Once cooked, leave to cool in the tin and then turn out onto a wire rack. It will keep in the fridge for up to a week (or for longer, sliced, in the freezer).