This egg-free blood orange crème brûlée is velvety, creamy, and utterly delicious. Soy cream and almond milk are simmered with scraped vanilla beans and then combined with the secret ingredient — egg replacer mixed with superfine sugar. The result is a luscious custard that caramelizes just like traditional crème brûlée,
Blood Orange Crème Brûlée [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1 cup soy cream
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons powdered egg replacer, mixed with 4 tablespoons warm water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine (caster) sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- Preheat the oven 300ºF.
- Combine the vanilla, soy cream, and almond milk in a saucepan and stir well. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, then immediately reduce the heat to low and simmer for 6 minutes, whisking occasionally, until the mixture thickens.
- Combine the egg replacer with the 1/4 cup superfine sugar in a large bowl, then gradually pour in the thickened cream, whisking constantly. Mix in the orange juice and zest.
- Pour the mixture into four ramekins and place them in a large baking pan. Pour boiling water into the baking pan so that it reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Transfer to the oven and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the ramekins from the oven and the water bath and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
- Just before serving, sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon sugar on top of each ramekin and, using a kitchen blowtorch, caramelize the sugar until golden brown.
Adapted from VEGAN: THE COOKBOOK by Jean-Christian Jury (Phaidon, $49.95 US/$59.95 CAN, May 2017)