These scones are sweet, coconutty, and crumbly with bursts of fresh blackberry in every bite. Fresh fruit, plus the homemade blackberry compote provides the perfect contrast for the dryness of the scone. Serve with coconut yogurt for breakfast, non-dairy ice cream for dessert, and a cup of coffee.
Blackberry and Coconut Scones With Berry Compote [Vegan]
For the Scones:
- 1 3/4 cups, plus 3/4 tablespoon self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 3/4 tablespoons caster sugar/super fine sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 1/4 cups blackberries, frozen or fresh
- 1/3 cup, plus 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
For the Compote:
- 1 1/4 cups blackberries
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- 1 tablespoon water/lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, salt, coconut, and blackberries. Add the milk and mix to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead very lightly. Roll the dough into two circles, transfer the dough onto a baking tray then cut each circle into four. Bake in a preheated oven for 15-18 minutes until well risen and golden round the edges then leave to cool.
- Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan on a low heat. Squash most of the blackberries with the back of your spoon to release the juices and stir until thickened.
- Serve scones with coconut yogurt and blackberry compote.