A simple, yet lush cake with perfect delicate hints of black tea and cardamom! Serve alongside fresh fruit, with freshly brewed coffee or tea.
Black Tea Cardamom Cake [Vegan]
- 1 cup non-dairy milk of your choice
- 1-2 tablespoons loose-leaf black tea (about 3-6 tea bags)
- 1/4 cup or 2 ounces vegan butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 over-ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (or 1 cup white whole-wheat flour, plus 3/4 cup buckwheat flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter a medium-sized pan.
- Gently heat milk on a stove, or microwave until near boiling, and add tea to milk.
- Let tea-steeped milk cool, then strain and set aside. Discard the tea leaves.
- Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add banana and coconut oil and mix well to incorporate.
- Stir in tea-steeped milk and vanilla extract and mix.
- In another bowl, combine flour with baking powder, baking soda, ground cardamom, nutmeg, and salt.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the flour mixture and mix until evenly combined and batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, and bake until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 50–60 minutes.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes, remove from pan and allow cake to cool completely before serving.