While this dish does not appear Clean like a bowl of dressed greens, it is the epitome of being just Clean Enough, with healthy fats, healing spices, robust vegetables, and gut-friendly fermented bacteria!
Black Eggplant [Vegan]
- 8 ounces (about 1 1/4 cups) organic crushed Italian tomatoes
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, toasted and then ground
- 1 teaspoon ground Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 pounds Japanese eggplants (about 5 eggplants)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup Tzatziki
- Turn the broiler on in the oven to preheat.
- Combine the crushed tomatoes, 2 cups water, and the walnuts and cinnamon in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 20 minutes, to release the fat from walnuts.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic slices and brown for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the tomato mixture and browned onion and garlic, along with the pomegranate molasses, miso paste, and 1/2 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper to a high-powered blender and puree until smooth.
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise and rub the cut side with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Place the eggplants on an unlined half sheet pan and place under the broiler for 10 minutes per side to char. Remove the eggplant from the oven and turn on the convection oven to 375°F.
- Pour the tomato mixture into a shallow casserole dish and submerge the eggplant in the sauce, cut side up. Place the eggplant in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and golden.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven and top with the mint and pomegranate arils. Serve the Tzatziki on the side. Try it served with Coconut Oil Crispy Rice!