You can serve this hearty bean salad at room temperature or chilled. It tastes better if it’s allowed to sit overnight so the flavors can develop, but if you are short on time, you can eat it right away and it will still taste amazing. Excerpted from The Everything® Mediterranean Instant Pot® Cookbook by Kelly Jaggers. Copyright © 2020 by Simon & Schuster, Inc. Used with permission of the publisher, Adams Media, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. All rights reserved.
Black Beans with Corn and Tomato Relish [Vegan]
- 1/2 pound dried black beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and sliced in half
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Add beans, white onion, garlic, and water to the Instant Pot. Close lid, set steam release to sealing, press the bean button, and cook for the default time of 30 minutes. When the timer beeps, let pressure release naturally, about 20 minutes.
- Open lid and remove and discard onion and garlic. Drain beans well and transfer to a medium bowl. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- In a separate small bowl, combine corn, tomato, red onion, cilantro, cumin, paprika, pepper, and salt. Toss to combine. Add to black beans and gently fold to mix. Whisk together olive oil and lime juice in a small bowl and pour over black bean mixture. Gently toss to coat. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate for at least 2 hours.